[RTEMS] How do you like RTEMS ?

Eric Norum eric.norum at usask.ca
Tue Nov 28 15:15:17 UTC 2000

Jeffrey wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> Our company is trying to find a "serious kernel" to get rid of pSOS and
> VxWorks. I found RTEMS very charming but have no experience using it. Is
> there any company using RTEMS longer than one year and thinking it's
> good(or very good or bad). I need to hear some serious comment about
> using RTEMS by senior users. Please give me any advice or suggestions.
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Sincerely

I've been using RTEMS for several years now.  I was the lead designer of
the control system for the Canadian Light Source.  This is a 2.9 GeV
electron synchrotron light source.  We (actually *they*, since I've now
moved to another job) are using RTEMS for all their EPICS (Experimental
Physics and Industrial Control System) Input/Output Controllers.  There
will be 150 or so of these RTEMS IOCs controlling various pieces of
equipment around the facility.

We found that RTEMS works very well in this sort of embedded
application.  Some of the edges are certainly a bit rough, especially
for someone coming from a VxWorks environment (no system shell, no
remote console, no NFS, no dynamic loading, less fancy debugging
environment), but there is enough there to get some pretty serious jobs
done.  The kernel and network stack have proven themselves to be very
robust (a dozen or so IOCs running for months without problems; other
non-EPICS applications running for years without problems).

What sort of applications do you have in mind?

Eric Norum                                 eric.norum at usask.ca
Department of Electrical Engineering       Phone: (306) 966-5394
University of Saskatchewan                 FAX:   (306) 966-5407
Saskatoon, Canada.