Network Error Message

Eric Norum eric.norum at usask.ca
Wed Nov 29 14:35:49 UTC 2000

Peter Mueller wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working on combining efi332 with the CS8900 ethernet chip. Because we
> have only 256kB Ram (today) I have moved all the code in Flash. But during
> rtems_bsdnet_initialize_network I get the message "Can't get network cluster
> memory". Is 256kB Ram for netdemos still to less? I have 0x5000 bytes for
> stack and the rest of ram for heap (_HeapSize : 0x0).
>
> Any ideas
> Peter

Unless overridden by the network configuration the default sizes are 64
kbytes for mbufs and 128 kbytes for mbuf clusters.  For small
applications, on a relatively quiet network, you can get away with
less.  For example I have a BOOTP bootstrap in the flash memory of the
68360 machines here which uses 32 kbytes for mbufs and 64 kbytes for
mbuf clusters (with 10 receive buffer descriptors and 4 transmit buffer
descriptors).  For testing purposes or with broadcast message reception
turned off I expect you could drop even quite a bit lower.

Eric Norum                                 eric.norum at usask.ca
Department of Electrical Engineering       Phone: (306) 966-5394
University of Saskatchewan                 FAX:   (306) 966-5407
Saskatoon, Canada.