Configure/make bug?

Ralf Corsepius corsepiu at faw.uni-ulm.de
Thu Oct 5 09:49:39 UTC 2000

Sergei Organov wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to configure/build RTEMS (latest snapshot) for powerpc-rtems
> target on Linux host. When I configure/make for 'papyrus' BSP only, then
> everything works fine. If I configure/make for 'mbx860_002' BSP only, then
> configure runs fine, but make gives me the following:

Are you saying the configuration works for the papyrus BSP but
doesn't work for the mbx860_002, while using analogous configuration
options? I have never seen this happen before at this early stage of
the configuration, you are refering to, because the part is common
all BSPs of a target. It could happen in later stages, when
configuring BSP-specific parts of the sources and when something is
broken in a BSP-specific Makefile.

> make[2]: Entering directory `/home/osv/build/ppc-rtems/rtems/ppc-rtems/c'
> Configuring RTEMS_BSP=mbx860_002
> creating cache ./config.cache

[..]
> checking for ppc-rtems-gcc... /usr/local/bin/ppc-rtems-gcc
Did build pcc-rtems-gcc to with --prefix=/usr/local?

I would not recommend to build gcc, binutils or newlib with
--prefix=/usr/local. There is a very high risk in corrupting your
native toolchain by doing so.

> checking whether the C compiler (/usr/local/bin/ppc-rtems-gcc  ) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.
> make[2]: *** [mbx860_002] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/osv/build/ppc-rtems/rtems/ppc-rtems/c'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/osv/build/ppc-rtems/rtems/ppc-rtems/c'
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>
> Note, that error is because configure finds WRONG COMPILER. The right compiler
> is under the '/home/osv/try' directory that is specified in --prefix option
> for configure, and is correctly found (as well as the rest of tools) during
> 'configure' stage or when I build another (papyrus) BSP.
>
> The same error occurs if I try to build 'mbx8xx' BSP.
>
> How do I fix this?
I guess, your configuration options aren't set up correctly

> I run configure/make in a separate build directory like this:
>
> ./config
> ./makeit
>
> where config and makeit are the following scripts:
>
> $ cat config
> prefix=/home/osv/try
Don't name the variable prefix, it might interfere with the
internals of the configury. This should not happen, but I have seen
broken shells (older bash-2s, all versions of ash, /bin/sh under
Solaris) or make (some versions of gmake) having problems with
exporting/not-exporting shell variables.

> export PATH=$prefix/bin:$PATH
> ~/src/rtems-ss-20000919/configure \
>   --target=ppc-rtems \
>   --prefix=$prefix \
>   --exec-prefix=ppc-rtems- \
Remove this option ^, this very likely is the culprit.

>   --enable-gcc28 \
>   --disable-posix \
>   --disable-networking \
>   --disable-itron \
>   --enable-libcdir=$prefix/ppc-rtems/lib \
This option ^ should not have any effect (be unused) when using
--enable-gcc28 (which is the default), but should also not desturb.

>   --enable-maintainer-mode \
>   --enable-rtemsbsp=mbx860_002 \
>   $*
>
> $ cat makeit
> export PATH=/home/osv/try/bin:$PATH
> make $*

Ralf

--
Ralf Corsepius
Forschungsinstitut fuer Anwendungsorientierte Wissensverarbeitung