Cautionary Word on Licenses and Intellectual Property

Quality Quorum qqi at world.std.com
Sun Oct 29 19:32:38 UTC 2000

On Sun, 29 Oct 2000, Joel Sherrill wrote:

> Privately, I have discussed these issues with many people
> over the years.  My rule of thumb is to honor the
> intellectual property and license of others.  But as
> this particular case points out, you need to be careful
> when looking at proprietary source code.
>
>   Say "No, thanks" to Offers of Illegal MS Source Code
>
>   http://noframes.linuxjournal.com/articles/currents/0024.html
>
> It includes this quote:
>
>   Jeremy Allison, one of the lead developers on the Samba project,
>   said that his response to one anonymous offer of Windows NT
>   source code was, "You're offering to end my career. Thanks, but
>   no thanks."
>
> The bottom line is that everyone involved in the free software
> community needs to be careful to remain uncontaminated.  Do NOT
> look at proprietary source code and then work on an open source
> or free software equivalent.
>
> Be careful and play nice. :)

I have a quaestion in this respect. I am working on adding thread
support to i386 gdb stub. Most of it is not RTEMS-specific. I am
wondering can other people borrow from RTEMS code or I have to
have two parallel projects one for RTEMS and one for something
abstract. As far as my reading goes everything inside
c/src/lib/libbsp/i386/shared/comm is given to public domain by
contributors, does it allow to use these pieces outside RTEMS ?

> --joel

Thanks,

Aleksey