Mount other SRAM Filesystem

Thu Oct 19 15:19:27 UTC 2000

Sturniolo Jose wrote:

> Hi, I am trying to mount other memory block, SRAM, using the MOUNT function,
> however I can't find how to indicate the SRAM address to use.
>
> My target is:
> - Create a directory, called /SRAM
> - Mount on it, other memory area, SRAM.
>
> Any ideas? Is possible?

At the current time, the IMFS uses memory obtained via malloc().  There
needs to be modifications to it for use with memory obtained via other
means.
For your case, it would be enough to define some mechanism where the
IMFS
had plug-in memory allocation routines.  Then it could get them via
that.

I think long term, the best thing would be to add a parameter to the
mount()
call which allowed for filesystem specific configuration information to
be associated with this instantiation of the filesystem type.  This way,
you could mount the IMFS using malloc/free or another memory allocation
scheme for your SRAM.

Does that make sense?

Long term, there needs to be a derivative of the IMFS which does NOT
assume it can write directly into storage.  It should obtain blocks
and assume that it only has a copy of them.  This would allow it to
work with non-volatile storage such as flash where it can not treat
it like RAM.