BOOTP and TCP/IP networking

Chris Johns cjohns at cybertec.com.au
Thu Oct 26 23:43:17 UTC 2000

Patrick Kelsey wrote:

>     I am using bootp to get our rtems-4.5-beta3 system going on our ethernet
> network.  Our dhcp server is running on a Redhat linux system (kernel
> version 2.2.16).  I noticed that when responding to BOOTREQUEST messages,
> the linux dhcp server puts together all of the options it wants to send back
> and then partitions it among up to three buffers to fit them into the
> BOOTREPLY message.  Anything that does not fit into the vendor options field
> overflows into the 'file' and 'sname' fields using the dchp options
> overloading mechanism.  RFC 1533 indicates that this options overloading is
> to be used only with DHCP, but the linux dhcpd does it with bootp queries as
> well.

I am using :

 Internet Software Consortium DHCP Server 2.0
 Copyright 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 The Internet Software
Consortium.
 All rights reserved.

 Please contribute if you find this software useful.
 For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/dhcp-contrib.html

 $ uname -rv
 2.2.17 #2 SMP Wed Oct 11 10:37:14 EST 2000

on RedHat with only bootp with no problem. I only get the standard bootp
reply. I am not using the RTEMS bootp client. I do not understand what
you are seeing. Is the RTEMS forming the correct request ?

 Chris Johns, mailto:cjohns at cybertec.com.au mailto:ccj at acm.org