Advice Requested on RPM MD5SUM Weirdness

Fri Sep 1 21:46:54 UTC 2000

With the recent hardware problems we experienced, we felt it
critical to check the files on the ftp server.  It turned out
that a few were corrupt and we recovered them from other
machines and backups.

However, we have a few files (Linux x86 RPMs all) that
I am confused by.  Here is the situation:

+ On machines 1+2 (Redhat 6.2 with RPM 3.0.4), the
  md5sum (rpm -K) check fails.  RPM will install them
  without complaints though.

+ On machine 3 (RedHat 5.2 with RPM 3.0.2), the md5sum
  on the same files is OK.  They will install fine here
  as well.  This is the machine they were generated on.
  Remember we keep a glibc 1.x machine around to generate
  highly compatible binaries.

+ Machines 1-3 are sharing the same copy of the files via
  NFS.  So there is no chance of some ftp binary/ascii mode
  dumb user error.

This inconsistency bothers me.  The files are either OK
or corrupt. But rpm is giving me inconsistent results.

Comments appreciated.  This must be resolved before a
release can be made public.