OR32 Newlib Committed to Opencores.org

Rosimildo da Silva rdasilva at connecttel.com
Sun Sep 10 17:19:08 UTC 2000

Damjan Lampret wrote:

> > I have trouble compiling BINUTILS under CygWin 1.1.2:
> >
> > rm -rf libiberty.a
> > ar rc libiberty.a \
> >   argv.o basename.o choose-temp.o concat.o cplus-dem.o fdmatch.o
> > fnmatch.o getop
> > t.o getopt1.o getruntime.o hex.o floatformat.o objalloc.o obstack.o
> > pexecute.o s
> > paces.o strerror.o strsignal.o xatexit.o xexit.o xmalloc.o xstrdup.o
> > xstrerror.o
> >  asprintf.o insque.o sigsetmask.o vasprintf.o random.o
> > : No such file or directory
>
> I don't understand which file is actually missing. Did you try to do it
> manually step by step? Unfortunately I don't have cygwin installed
> anywhere around me and I can't try this (all computers with windows are
> company's and I can't install anything on them anyway).

It has something to do with the $(HOST_OFILES) macro. If I replace
it with the list of files itself, it compiles fine. It must be a
bug in bashs. CygWin has improved a lot, but it still a pain.

$(RULE2): $(REQUIRED_OFILES) $(HOST_OFILES)
	rm -rf $(TARGETLIB)
	$(AR) $(AR_FLAGS) $(TARGETLIB) $(REQUIRED_OFILES) asprintf.o insque.o
sigsetmask.o vasprintf.o random.o
#	$(AR) $(AR_FLAGS) $(TARGETLIB) $(HOST_OFILES)
	$(RANLIB) $(TARGETLIB)

Making this simple kludge, I could get the libiberty to compile ok.

A bit later,
I have got another error. Now the linker does not find this symbol:

/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link gcc -g -O2  -o size.exe  size.o bucomm.o
version.o
 filemode.o ../bfd/libbfd.la ../libiberty/libiberty.a
gcc -g -O2 -o size.exe size.o bucomm.o version.o filemode.o
../bfd/.libs/libbfd.
a ../libiberty/libiberty.a
../bfd/.libs/libbfd.a(archures.o): In function `bfd_archures_list':
/source/or32/or1k/binutils/bfd/archures.c(.text+0x0): undefined
reference to `bf
d_or32_arch'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [size.exe] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/build/or32/binutils/binutils'
make: *** [all-binutils] Error 2
bash-2.04$

And this is just the start of Binutils. Getting the toolset compiling
with CygWin
can be a major undertaking. Specially, because this is a brand new
target.

Rosimildo.