Mempry allocation problem with RTEMS 4.0.0

Alexander D. Tarkhov karabass at mitino.ptt.ru
Mon Sep 18 10:44:23 UTC 2000

Hello, all!

We have been using RTEMS ver. 4.0.0 for more than a year now,
but recently encountered a memory allocation problem.
We can not get more than ~50kb total memory even if we start to allocate
it by small blocks (~1kb).
When we use "new" for allocation
new buffer[1024];
it crashes down after total amount reaches ~46kb.
And when we use "malloc"
buffer = malloc(1024);
it simply returns NULL after about 50 calls.

Target: mips64orion p4650, 2Mb memory
Host: FreeBSD

There seems to be some problem with heap initialization,
or CONFIGURE_EXECUTIVE_RAM_SIZE parameter is not used correctly.

What do you think about this problem and how can we overcome this issue?
Thank you in advance.

Alexander Tarkhov