Network config issue

Charles-Antoine Gauthier charles.gauthier at nrc.ca
Mon Sep 25 15:43:06 UTC 2000

Joel Sherrill wrote:

> Jake Janovetz wrote:
> >
> > How would the configuration be changed after compile, then?
> > Are you saying that once you build the application, you're stuck
> > with that network configuration?  If this is the case, then I
> > strongly disagree.  It would kinda suck if Red Hat shipped
> > Linux with one network configuration.
>
> No it would be a default configuration used normally just
> to satisfy linking.  You can't tell it now but there is
> already one in librtems.  See c/src/libmisc/dummy.

Exactly. Each app should then be able to override the config info. I am
trying to not supply the config info for each possible board in each
test. I want to centralize the info, so the end user can edit a single
location before building the test suite.

> > Same goes with an embedded OS that may go into devices that
> > should be reconfigurable.  I must be misunderstanding something,
> > though.
>
> This does not diminish the reconfigurability.  It just sets things
> up so it is easier to build tests and run autoconf checks.

BTW, my BSPs get their network config from NVRAM by default, not from
the built-in image. Still, the linker wants something... Beside, by
setting jumpers on the MVME167, the end-user can always revert to the
built-in values.

> Charles... this has not been merged for 1 very important reason.
> If you have a default network configuration, then the autoconf test
> for select() will pass and believe RTEMS' select works for ALL
> cases.  The RTEMS select() implementation only works on sockets
> so this would be broken.  I know this impacts TCL.

OK. But I am not sure this applies. What I need is access to some
end-user supplied config info to stuff into the network config
structures. The structures are only included for those tests that need
it. I don't see why autoconf would detect them during configuration of
rtems (or am I missing something?)