network hangs I/O system?

Thomas Doerfler Thomas.Doerfler at imd-systems.de
Mon Apr 2 06:42:24 UTC 2001

Hello,

in my current project my customer has found out a very strange
behaviour: I have built a system based on RTEMS-4.0.0 including
ethernet networking, hardware is the MC68360.

When my customer powers my systems up with disconnected network, they
run fine for many days. When my customer connects my systems to his
plant network (with rather heavy load and a high broadcast rate),
then the systems hang after some time, although they themselfs are
more or less idle (waiting for a connect from the network). It takes
between 2 hours and 5 days, before the systems hang. Some internal
tasks still seem to run (e.g. task to retrigger of software watchdog
:-(( ), but all the I/O activity (including serial V.24 devices) is
inactive. (Even a disconnect from the network does not wake the
systems up again, only a power cycle helps.)

In my local office network (with much lower traffic) I could not
repeat this error.

Now my questions:

- Did anybody out there find the same behaviour during development
(or test phase)?

- Is it possible that the "multiple event bug" discussed recently (by
Zoltan etc.) can cause this behaviour concerning the network task?

- Is it possible that the network task falls into a condition so that
it consumes all CPU performance, even when there is no more traffic
on the network connector?

- Is there any "global I/O" semaphore that might block the whole I/O
system (networking, serial termios drivers AND serial non-termios
drivers)?

Any hints welcome :-)

Bye,
	Thomas.