ICD_BDM and problems with stepping through some instructions

Aaron J. Grier aaron at frye.com
Tue Apr 10 18:00:48 UTC 2001

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 01:25:28PM -0400, Benshoof, William {17-7~Roswell} wrote:

> I am using a Motorola 68332ACFC16 with GDB 4.18, BDM patches for
> Linux, ICD_BDM driver, and PE Micro debugger.  I have a problem
> stepping through some instructions (MOVEL is one) that I wonder if
> anyone else has encountered.  The error is bdm_signal_handler: failed
> to stop chip no response from target via bdm.  The work-around is to
> set a breakpoint after the offending instruction and "continue" to it.
>
> From reading past user group messages and Pavel Pisa's 6/30/99
> document, I think this might have something to do with internal GDB
> timing.
>
> Has anyone else seen this problem?  Found a solution?  Have hints on
> where to look?

which gdb patches are you using?  I used to see this after accessing
invalid memory addresses with Chris Johns' patches until I added support
in his driver for yanking the BERR line.  Now after invalid memory
accesses I get a bus error and things continue along.

--
  Aaron J. Grier   |    Frye Electronics, Tigard, OR   |   aaron at frye.com