termios problem or feature?

Mike Siers mikes at poliac.com
Mon Aug 13 20:48:57 UTC 2001

Hi,
I am using the latest RTEMS snapshot with the i386/pc586 BSP.
I have a simple program that is just opening up a serial port and
writing out a string.  The application on the other end of the serial
port will write out a block of information to the serial port when it
receives this initial string.

I have noticed that the read() function call will only return one
character at a time even though I know the termios buffer has
more information than that.

Basically, the function fillBufferQueue() in libc/termios.c returns
as soon as it has copied VMIN characters.  Should it instead
copy all available characters that will fit into the given buffer?
Is this a bug or is termios behaving correctly?

I have a simple patch to allow it return more than VMIN characters
but I want to ensure this is the correct behavior.

Thanks
Mike Siers