task monitor

Mon Dec 3 19:43:55 UTC 2001

Peter Mueller wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I like to monitor execution of an rtems application. I saw that the necessary OS hooks are already there to get e.g. task switching et cetera. My plan is to log such system events in a large ring buffer. The buffer could be displayed later on.

If you are going to add any more system log events than can be done via adding
an extension,
I would HIGHLY recommend doing something a bit more general and adding some
macros that
can be dropped anywhere in the executive source and conditionally enabled.
Getting the
infrastructure in place to handle this is one thing.  Starting to instrument
RTEMS is another.
I would like to see some instrumentation in place.

One the events are written to a shared buffer, it could periodically be dumped
off board
to a host CPU or simply reset.

> Before starting to work I like to know if something like that is already there?
> Is there a monitoring tool around that has an open interface that I can use for presentation ( a la windview)?

Rosimildo did some work with a CORBA Spy interface.