Rebuilding RTEMS

Eric Norum eric.norum at usask.ca
Tue Feb 13 15:11:58 UTC 2001

Angelo Fraietta wrote:

> It appears that the linkcmds file is sometimes not being copied into
> build-rtems/i386-rtems/pc386/lib directory during the make. I can copy it
> over by hand and complete the build, but I shouldn't really have to.
> Somewhere during the build process it must copy this file from the
> appropriate startup directory. If that part fails, maybe the build should
> stop there??
> When is the file cpoied over?

AHA!
This is exactly what's been happening here, too, for the gen68360 and
mvme167 targets.

Are you building on a Linux host with your RTEMS source being mounted
from another machine via NFS?  I've found that the problem never occurs
when I'm building with the source on a local disk.  When I build with
the source on an NFS mount the linkcmds (and *only* the linkcmds)
doesn't get copied across and then the build dies when trying to build
the first example application.  It seems to be due to some strange
interaction between make and NFS.  I have not had the time to
investigate any further.

Until now I thought I was the only person having this problem.  I'm very
happy to hear that it's not just a delusion on my part.

Eric Norum                                 eric.norum at usask.ca
Department of Electrical Engineering       Phone: (306) 966-5394
University of Saskatchewan                 FAX:   (306) 966-5407
Saskatoon, Canada.