RTEMS on DSP

Fri Jul 13 17:45:47 UTC 2001

ryan at bedwells.net wrote:

> I apologize for leaving the subject off the last message.
>
> Ryan
>
> ryan at bedwells.net said:
>
> > Greetings!
> >
> > Can anyone out there comment briefly about the suitability of RTEMS as a DSP
> > RTOS?  How might it compare to commercial RTOS's which bill themselves as
> > specifically targeted at DSP's?

There is a port in the snapshots to the TI C3x/C4x family of DSPs.  In testing
this and looking at the performance, it looked fine.  The application actually
used components from libchip without problem.  I do not have extensive
experience with DSP specific RTOSes (e.g. SPOX) so could not do a head to
head comparison.  Most of the problems we ran into were because gcc targetting
the C3x/4x is immature at this point.