environment variables

Ralf Corsepius corsepiu at faw.uni-ulm.de
Mon Jul 30 23:04:20 UTC 2001

Somehow, the original posting seems to have slipped through or
didn't make it to me ;)

"Aaron J. Grier" wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 05:18:45PM -0400, Hennenfent, Nick {AVL~Roswell} wrote:
>
> > The documentation talks at great length about the environment variable
> > called - RTEMS_MAKEFILE_PATH.
> >
> > The FAQ however says it's use has been deprecated in favor of using
> > the configure option --prefix="my prefix".
Hmm, I'd call this a bug in the FAQ or at least remains from older
RTEMS version.
As far as RTEMS's current source-tree is concerned,
RTEMS_MAKEFILE_PATH is effectively dead and not used at all,
anymore.

> > A monster grep indicates that it only shows up in the makefile
> > templates.
Exactly.

# find -type f -exec grep -l RTEMS_MAKEFILE_PATH {} \;
./make/Templates/Makefile.lib
./make/Templates/Makefile.dir
./make/Templates/Makefile.leaf
./make/README

> > We have been using the environment variable but I am thinking about
> > getting rid of it.
> >
> > Any caveats or any votes either way from the user community????
I don't understand this question.

RTEMS_MAKEFILE_PATH is not used at all when building RTEMS and will
only be applied if using Makefiles based on or derived from the
Makefile templates, i.e. _outside_ of RTEMS's source-tree.

Ralf

--
Ralf Corsepius
Forschungsinstitut fuer Anwendungsorientierte Wissensverarbeitung