testing of pre-release test versions of gcc and binutils

Thomas Rauscher trauscher at loytec.com
Mon Jun 18 08:47:45 UTC 2001

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Marc Salem wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Speaking of gcc 3.0, has anyone used it with ARM as the target, i'd be
> interested in hearing of your experiences.
>
> I don't use the RTEMS for ARM stuff (yet) so i'm probably not the best
> guinea pig (i use rtems for a m68k board...).

We are currently developing a BSP for an ARM7TDMI-based target.

gcc-3.0 (20010528, arm-rtems-elf) does well so far. There are just a few
problems with the Thumb code generation in the moment, but they occur only
in rare situations.

The good news: The gcc 3.0 (prerelease) series generates better code and
supports the ARM and Thumb instruction sets in a single compiler, so it
can create mixed binaries which is especially interesting for 16bit
targets.

Thomas

--
Dipl.-Ing. Thomas Rauscher                 Tel.:   ++43 1 402 08 05 15
                                           Fax:    ++43 1 402 08 05 99
LOYTEC electronics GmbH                    E-mail: trauscher at loytec.com
Stolzenthalergasse 24/3, A-1080 Wien       Web:    http://www.loytec.com