History of RTEMS

Thu Mar 8 02:18:45 UTC 2001

Angelo Fraietta wrote:

> The timeline is great, however, I was after reasons why RTEMS became open
> source and free to the public.  Why wasn't / isn't  it sold instead of given
> away?

This requires a trip in the way back time machine. :)

Originally, RTEMS was just free for government projects.  The earliest
non-Army user was the Super Conducting Super Collider project (remember
that one?).  The Army sponsors had the insight that there was nothing
particularly military about RTEMS and that it could benefit from a wider
base of users.  If you look at the timeline, you will notice the slow
movement to GNU tools as well as submissions from non-Army users.

I think it was a very pragmatic thing.  In the long run, it made RTEMS
more self-sufficient. Given the relatively small number of government
embedded projects, it would be harder for RTEMS to be self-sufficient.

Somewhere around 1993, www.rtems.army.mil (aka
lancelot.gcs.redstone.army.mil)
was made the distribution site for RTEMS.  Around the 4.0 release,
distribution
moved to oarcorp.com.

I recall serious discussions on licensing.  The GPL and LGPL were not
great at embedded systems but we needed a protective open source
license.
RTEMS had a BSD-ish license for some early releases but the movement
to a GPL+exception was a good thing.  It was painful to continuously
explain a non-standard open source license.

Does that make sense?