GRUB vs. big RTEMS executables

Eric Norum eric.norum at usask.ca
Thu Mar 8 22:51:20 UTC 2001

Until now my only RTEMS targets have been the Motorola MC68360 and
MVME167.  Now I'm moving to the wonderful world of x86 hardware.  I'm
using the RTEMS pc386 BSP with GRUB to build a boot floppy.  I've been
able to run the RTEMS hello and ticker tests with no problems, even when
I put a compressed image on the floppy.  But when I try to boot a really
big executable:

   text	   data	    bss	    dec	    hex	filename
1177613	  57911	 123360	1358884	 14bc24	bin/RTEMS-pc386/example

which has been stripped and compressed before placing on the floppy, I
get the following message from GRUB stage2:

Howcome smaller programs work, but big ones don't?
Am I running into some problem causes by the stupid 640k memory boundary
on a PC?

Eric Norum                                 eric.norum at usask.ca
Department of Electrical Engineering       Phone: (306) 966-5394
University of Saskatchewan                 FAX:   (306) 966-5407
Saskatoon, Canada.