ACE/TAO 5.1 RTEMS patch available

Tue Mar 27 14:59:45 UTC 2001

TAO is an open source real-time CORBA implementation.  Full information
is at:

http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/TAO.html

I have done a "compile-only" port to RTEMS.  It compiles
cleanly and tests do link.  The configuration is pretty
much BSP independent.  There is a "Makefile.rtems" which
uses the RTEMS application Makefile infrastructure but
answers questions like "what is the name of the compiler?"
and "what arguments do I use?"  The only exception to this
is that the arguments to use per function sections are
always added so you probably need a recent ELF toolset to
use this unmodified.

The patch and a README are at:

ftp://ftp.oarcorp.com/pub/rtems/snapshots/contrib/ACE-TAO/

Ignoring the fact that I have not actually run a test, the
worst problem is that their directory descent rule in
include/makeinclude/rules.nested.GNU is complaining like this
and not descending.

/bin/sh: unexpected EOF while looking for `''
/bin/sh: -c: line 2: syntax error

I have reported this twice to the taobugs mailing list
and gotten no response.  The most recent post is at:

If someone can fix this, it would be great.

One final warning, I did this with the current source.  I
found one RTEMS .h file (sys/utsname.h) that did not
have proper C++ wrapping.

Hopefully someone is interested enough in this to
try to compile and test it for real. :)

Enjoy and discuss this freely on the lists.