dynamic loading was Re: i386/parallel port

Tue May 8 16:31:13 UTC 2001

rwas rwas wrote:

> Tools? You mean libs right?
>
> I'd have to assume that RTEMS has it's own scheduler
> database and format. And I suspect it'd be hard to
> pull off for a novice since RTEMS now must be have
> tasks linked in at compile time. That makes me wonder
> why they have'nt done it yet.

It isn't a matter of difficulty -- at least two users
have come up with their own dynamic loading scheme.
It is more a matter of time of someone taking the time
to specify a loading mechanism that is reasonably target
independent.  Since we use the GNU tools, there is really
no magic on generating the pieces -- just getting them
to the target and initializing them.

Chris Johns has a setup with his My Right Boot that
does exactly what you are suggesting.  This is a useful
feature and I would be very happy to see it addressed
in a general sense.

> I suspect the shell would have to be hacked
> considerably.
>
> It does'nt sound as easy as you seem to indicate.

As Fernando posted earlier, this too is coming along. :)