dynamic loading was Re: i386/parallel port

rwas rwas mc68332 at yahoo.com
Tue May 8 17:53:50 UTC 2001

Folks here seem to speak from a kind of knowing I
don't posses. RTEMS is still just a mysterious black
box without a whole lot of practical documentation for
it's inerds. Almost all the documentation that does
exist seems to be written with the assumption that one
should already know all about every rtos and so the
docs don't need to deal with the step by step
evolution of a device driver (for example).

It would seem to know what I must about whether RTEMS
will even do what I want I have to reverse engineer
it. One might say that my comments are unfair do to
the newness of the os, but based on the extent to
which documentation has been written I tend to feel
the needs of potential proponents, user, and bsp
writers of the OS have been overlooked.

Don't get me wrong, from what I've been able to learn
about RTEMS, I think it's neat, but learning about
it's true nature has been like pulling teeth. I don't
think it should have to be that hard.

--- Joel Sherrill <joel.sherrill at OARcorp.com> wrote:
> rwas rwas wrote:
> >
> > Tools? You mean libs right?
> >
> > I'd have to assume that RTEMS has it's own
> scheduler
> > database and format. And I suspect it'd be hard to
> > pull off for a novice since RTEMS now must be have
> > tasks linked in at compile time. That makes me
> wonder
> > why they have'nt done it yet.
>
> It isn't a matter of difficulty -- at least two
> users

It is if one has'nt taken the 200 hours required to
reverse engineer the OS to know enough about how it
works to do it.

> have come up with their own dynamic loading scheme.
.
.
.