Is POSIX message queue implimentation correct?

Thu May 10 19:59:36 UTC 2001

The UNIX98 version of this at www.opengroup.org.

> We want a POSIX message queue which is blocking on read but non-
> blocking on write (so the receiving task can sleep on the queue,
> but senders won't block if the queue is full).  I thought the POSIX
> way to do this was to have the receiver create the queue without
> specifying O_NONBLOCK, but to have the senders open the queue with
> O_NONBLOCK.  (On the theory that the blocking flag was an attribute
> of the per-task queue descriptor, rather than the queue itself.)
>
> RTEMS POSIX doesn't seem to do it this way.  In mqueueopen.c, mq_open()
> checks to see if the named queue exists, and if so just returns the
> same descriptor that the creator received.
>
> (We can get the behavior we need by creating the queue non-blocking
> and having the receiving task request message notification and then
> going to sleep.  I'm just curious as to why it works as it does:
> Is this really how POSIX does it, or is the RTEMS implimentation of
> mq_open limited by the fact that we're all one big process?)

Without some serious re-reading, I don't want to comment.  Your
interpretation is certainly reasonable and the one-process nature
of RTEMS could make it a valid but not as useful as possible
implementation.  If each open gets some secondary structure, then
it would be possible to do this.  Offhand, I don't know how much work
would be required to change this.

Read unix98 and email back with your interpretation.