Newbie question about RTEMS API

gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Nov 1 23:16:12 UTC 2001

We've had good compliance from the POSIX api, which you might find
more familiar than the RTEMS classic API.  Actually, we use both.  The
Posix layer is not much more than a wrapper around the RTEMS classic
functions.  Speed-wise there isn't much difference, as most all the
POSIX calls don't involve a whole lot more than adapting POSIX
parameters and values to those used in the RTEMS functions- which are
somewhat "posixy" to begin with.

We found the POSIX queue, semaphore, pthread and scheduling functions
to be indistinguishable from the vxWorks versions with respect to
overhead, so unless you're really pushing your board, I don't think
theres much to worry about there.

I've never messed with uitron, so I can't comment about that.  I
suppose it could be argued the posix api might be more desirable
because it makes your code more portable.  OTOH, additional amounts of
RTEMS's coolness is available via the Classic API, so its definitely
worth learning.

Good luck,

Greg Menke