Basic questions re RTEMS and PPCbug

Tom Armistead tarmiste at phx.mcd.mot.com
Fri Nov 2 19:01:32 UTC 2001

Hi David,

   Here are some pointers:

1) The RTEMS BSP for the Motorola boards requires firmware to pass in a
pointer to residual data.  The niop command under PPCBUG does not create
residual data so it won't work for booting.  To boot RTEMS, you need to
use the PPCBUG nbo command and make sure the ENV settings are set as
described in the read me file.  nbo will create residual data if the ENV
settings are correct.  FYI, R3 contains the pointer to residual data at
startup.

2) RTEMS uses 1 BAT for mapping RAM.  This limits accessible RAM to 256
megabytes.  If you are running on a board with more than that, residual
data will likely be located above the 256Meg boundary and the BSP code
which accesses it will fail.

   I haven't run RTEMS on a MVME2307 specifically but I have run it on a
MTX, MCPN750 and MCP750 and it has worked well and the MVME230x is a
similar board.  If the above doesn't get you going, I'll try to find a
MVME2307 to verify it here.

Thanks,
Tom Armistead

--