DiskOnChip (flash memory) drivers for I386

Thu Nov 8 16:12:41 UTC 2001

Camilo Alejandro Arboleda wrote:

> Hi Joel and all,
>
> I ported Linux DiskOnChip driver an NFTL core to RTEMS
> (http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/).

How much of a YEAH!! can I yell!!!

> I got the permission of the developer
> (David Woodhose:dwmw2 at infradead.org) for distributing it with RTEMS under
> the same terms of RTEMS itself (is not an absolute 'yes' because there are
> some contributors that had not aswered yet). Anyway I would like to know if
> the drivers can be incorporated to RTEMS distribution or should be
> distributed separately.

I would love to see them distributed with RTEMS.  From experience,
I would like to ask a few things before that:

  + clear up the license permissions.
  + make sure the RTEMS version is based on a known tagged, public
    version.  This makes updates much easier.
  + Try to get any RTEMS modifications into their standard source
    base (conditional on __rtems__ if necessary).

This all assumes that it is significantly easier to deal with updates
if all that is in place.  THis all presumes that it is significantly
easier to deal with distributed with RTEMS.  If their code has its
own configurery that can be built (with instructions) to target
RTEMS, then I would think we woul dbe better off working with them
to ensure their standard distribution supports RTEMS.  This makes
it less maintenance in the long run because we do not have a separate
source fork.  Does this make sense?

In the meantime, I would be happy to put what you have in
the snapshots/contrib directory and update it as things
become available.

What type of filesystem are you using?  Do we need to deal with
getting that merged?

--joel