Interrupt latency problems on MPC860

Thu Nov 15 15:50:47 UTC 2001

Eric Norum wrote:

> Another way to get interrupt latencies down a little is to move the
> `tick()' processing to a high-priority task and have the timer interrupt
> handler send an event to this task.  The tradeoff is a little more time
> spent handling the timer/tick(), but now the tick() handling is
> interruptible.

Every so often this has been proposed and could be implemented
generically as an optional capability.  If someone chooses to implement
this, I would like to see it available to all BSPs as an option.

Since we have a generic clock driver template that can be instantiated,
this would be a natural place to address it.