Basic questions re RTEMS and PPCbug

gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri Nov 2 18:18:08 UTC 2001

We use ppcbug on a MCP750, an employ NBO to grab the image via tftp.
I ran into trouble once where I was trying to run the un-linked
executables- there are intermediate versions of those files in the
build tree.  Do a find . -name "hello*" or whatever to find out where
they are and which one you're using.

Generally, the executable is ready to run on the target hardware;
RTEMS is linked to your program, the final product being a monolithic
image with some entry point.  It boots itself (might also relocate),
initializes, then runs your program.  If you look closely at the
samples/tests linking after RTEMS does, you should be able to see the
output "bootables" being prepared.  We also use a MIPS R3000 bsp on
RTEMS, it works similarly.

I don't know anything at all about the MVME boards, but fwiw, I
believe the 750's programs are compiled and linked into a PREP
formatted executable that you can retrieve via tftp, read from a disk
or otherwise load into ram and execute.

It is difficult in the beginning.  I found the hardest part was
understanding how the RTEMS compile/build cycle works (I only
partially understand it now).  Once you understand enough to get
something running, RTEMS itself is quite easy to pick up and use.

Gregm