printk 100% interrupt safe?

Smith, Gene Gene.Smith at sea.siemens.com
Thu Oct 11 20:24:16 UTC 2001

Does anyone know if the printk function is interrupt safe, i.e., reentrant?
On some boards, I am seeing a spurious interrupt that is *supposed* to be
disabled and masked. Yet it still occurs maybe once per hour. The default
handler for the interrupt just printk's a short message. On boards that
produce the spurious interrupt, a random crash occurs after more than 24
hours. I have never seen a crash on boards that don't produce the spurious
interrupt. I have taken the printk out of the default handlers and will see
if that helps.  (The spurious interrupt might be caused by the non-standard
interrupt controller I am using.)

Any information would be most appreciated.

-gene