How to Enable DNS (Using PPPD)

Chris Johns cjohns at cybertec.com.au
Tue Oct 30 22:26:45 UTC 2001

> Mike Siers wrote:
>
> I am using pppd to make a network connection and I would like
> try and enable DNS.  The non-RTEMS pppd code just creates
> a resolv.conf file.  Is this the way to enable DNS under RTEMS?

It is one way and I feel the best as it is the way the TCP stack is
designed to work. In the lastest snapshot (I think) look for some code
under "c/src/libmisc/rootfs" that helps create a root fs with these
files.

> Or are there some C functions that I can call to enable the service
> (this is how I would prefer to do it).

Not sure. I know the stack has been changed to read some DNS entries
from the rtems_bsdnet_nameserver structure. Look in
"c/src/libnetworking/libc/res_init.c".

I did notice the lastest pppd code has a reference to
"/etc/ppp/resolv.conf". I am not sure if this used.

 Chris Johns, cjohns at cybertec.com.au