[rtai] RTEMS RTAI module

Mon Sep 3 00:35:58 UTC 2001

OK.  I am investigating this further.  I think that RTEMS can
be "ported" to RTAI using option 1 described below.   This would
be really cool since you would get RTEMS RTEID/pSOS+, ITRON, and
pthreads interface in this environment.

To get a feel for how to approach the port technically, I am trying
to get things setup to test.  Here is where I would like to
go as a test environment and what I have done so far.

Want:

  + simple RTAI environment under VMware, plex86, etc. for
    testing and not crashing entire machine.

What I have tried;

  + Atomic RTAI floppy image fails to boot under plex86
  + Atomic RTAI floppy image seems ok under vmware.
  + Linux 2.4.9 kernel and rtai-24.1.6  on a Redhat 7.1 box.
    This seemed to be working out OK  as I managed to reboot
    the new kernel with RTAI patches but can't compile completely.
    I get these warnings (they start at #1) ..

arch/i386/rtai.c:298:45: warning: pasting "(" and "29" does not give a
valid preprocessing token
arch/i386/rtai.c:299:1: warning: pasting "(" and "30" does not give a
valid preprocessing token
arch/i386/rtai.c:299:23: warning: pasting "(" and "31" does not give a
valid preprocessing token

  and the build fails later with this:

../../include/rtai_lxrt.h:325: impossible register constraint in `asm'
../../include/rtai_lxrt.h:325: impossible register constraint in `asm'
../tasklets.h:190: confused by earlier errors, bailing out

This has to be a common problem.  DO I have a bad compiler version
with Redhat 7.1 for using RTAI?

Questions:

  + Recommendations on setting up a virtual test environment
    using VMWare or plex86 as the target would be appreciated.
  + Where are mailing list archives?  I know I have tripped a
    FAQ with this problem?
  + how do you debug the modules?

Thanks.

--joel