network terminals (was rtems command line shells)

Fernando RUIZ CASAS correo at fernando-ruiz.com
Fri Sep 7 22:19:28 UTC 2001

Of course that a better implementation of remote secure conection is very
good but..

What is the goal of this?

At this moment is necessary to build a minimum infrastructure based in imfs
directory.
The first step is define the level of crypt.c: old crypt style, MD5, etc...
Next step is to use passwd, -passwd, shadow password, etc....
Once this is correct a real login will be builded.

Ftpd could use this feature.
telnetd of course.

And after all these steps a real user environment with several tasks owned
by the user
linked must be deleted once the user does the logoff.

Is this necessary in rtems environment?

Too much effort with the only goal of the remote control of the BSP.

Another big question is create a separate file descriptor array for EVERY
"process" started.
it's also necesary rebuild exit() in order to close the user files opened
only.
And exit() close the rtems executive.

We cann't  think in linux around this concern. We need think in rtems.
A executive that it let us to execute several task like threads but not like
process with fork().

A redefinition of rtems kernel to improve this goal would be necessary.

Perhaps too many lines of code in the kernel to link the tasks, users and
process.

Working with an Etrax100 LX EVB running linux 2.4.5 inside this kind of
features are cutted
for the sake of simplicity and to avoid waste the limited memory.
And linux 2.4.5 contains all of this features inside.

The embedded software runs always with the minimum of resources hardware and
the size of code is an important point to bear in mind.