Attention Free Software Users in the U.S.

Erwin Rol Erwin.Rol at Q-Soft-Engineering.com
Wed Apr 3 09:13:04 UTC 2002

I would like to add that this is not just a concern for U.S. Free
Software Users/Developers. Just like in the U.S. the politicians in
other parts of the world are just a clueless, meaning that if a law like
this gets passed in the U.S. it will just be a mather of time untill it
will be proposed and accepted in the rest of the world.

A good example of this is the upcoming patent laws in the European
Union, eventhough a fast majority of ppl is against it (
http://petition.eurolinux.org/index_html?LANG=en ) , the voices of big
U.S. firms weight more heavy than that of general public, and so most
likely the ill formed U.S. software patent system will be copied in Europe.

To Prevent the same happening to law like the D.M.C.A and now the
(luckily not yet passed) C.B.D.T.P.A, i would advice for ppl outside the
U.S. to be extermly alert for simulair proposuls in the rest of the world.

An other hot topic at the moment in Germany is yet and other bunch of
clueless politicians thinking they will beable to stop "illegal" content
in the internet by forced censorship. I advice people in germany to sign
the petition against that. http://odem.org/informationsfreiheit/en/

- Erwin Rol

--
         Q - S O F T - E N G I N E E R I N G

Erwin Rol (Software Engineer)     phone: +49-89-68050051
Erwin.Rol at Q-Soft-Engineering.com  fax  : +49-89-68050052