Interrupts occurrence

Angelo Fraietta angelo_f at bigpond.com
Thu Apr 4 01:12:54 UTC 2002

  The speed is fine when I am using a 386DX at 33MHZ. When using the
DIMMPC (386SX 40Mhz), however, the speed was still too still too slow.
It was about 50us too slow to work at full speed.  When you stated

	Aren't you down to the point of counting instructions? :)

I though that this was a figure os speech. I found, however, that that
is exactly what I had to do -- count instructions.

By stepping through the code using the simulator, I found that

    output_bit (SPI_PLA_DATA, pla_out_data.flags & 0x80);

used five instructions, however,

    if (bit_test (pla_out_data.flags, 7))
    {
      output_bit (SPI_PLA_DATA, 1);
    }
    else
    {
    output_bit (SPI_PLA_DATA, 0);
    }

only used three instructions. This became a saving of  64 instructions
per exchange.  Additionally, I found that

    for (byte_num = 0; byte_num < 8; byte_num++)

used 10 instructions; I replaced the code within the for loop with an
inline function and called it eight times. Although it does bloat the
code, it cut enough time off the function to make it worth it (320
instructions per exchange).

The reason I have detailed a bit more on what I actually did was so
others may find a use for some of the techniques I used.