users of non-GNU toolsets

Nigel Spon nigel at adi.co.nz
Tue Apr 9 05:29:05 UTC 2002

>We have been discussing deprecating the macro versions of
>inline routines to reduce maintenance and simplify
>configuring and building.  Historically, these
>were in place to support non-GNU toolsets but
>I have no feeling regarding how many active non-GNU
>compiler users there and if deprecating macros impacts
>you.

Well, I use CodeWarrior and I don't believe it impacts me; it seems to do
inlines just fine. I may be speaking too soon here not having tried it,
but aren't inlines part of the standard these days?

>One argument mentioned was the following:
>
>* newlib depends strictly on gcc.
>* RTEMS depends strictly on newlib.

Uh, not really. RTEMS in my case is linking quite happily with a modified
version of MSL. I'm not saying it was trivial to do this, but its not
that difficult. There is nothing that special about newlib, although I
did need a copy for reference to make the necessary adjustments to MSL.