Anyone using BDM to debug RTEMS on a 68332 platform?

Thomas Doerfler Thomas.Doerfler at imd-systems.de
Wed Apr 10 15:06:15 UTC 2002

Hello Mike,

I also use gdb over bdm with cpu32 very intensively. The
problems you mentioned are very familiar to me (I use gdb
version 4.18 and elf object format). I assume that this has to
do with gdb not always knowing exactly where local copies of a
variable might be located. I have heard rumours, that gdb 5.0
has better awareness where a variable is located at a given
position in code, so maybe this version would be better.

I simply decided to live with these problems.

Have you tried to disable compiler optimization? Maybe this
would reduce these effects (but it would also slow down the
code...)

Sorry I can't be of more help here.

Bye,
	Thomas.

> I have been trying to debug a serial problem with the MRM port, related
> to interrupt driven serial IO, but I have run into an unexpected problem
> with (I suspect) GDB with the BDM driver.  It does not seem to be able
> to report the correct values of some variables on the stack, but not all
> the time.  I have tested that the value of the variable is what I think
> it really is by doing a printk(), and it prints the correct value, but
> display, or print will not in GDB.  I can even dump the stack with x /4x
> $sp and I can see what I expect is the correct value at the correct
> location on the stack, but print still does not work.  So has anyone
> else here used GDB + the BDM patch on a 68332 platform and experienced a
> similar problem?  Has anyone experienced this problem on the ColdFire?
> Oh, and another GDB commnd that does not work properly is bt, because of
> the same reason I suspect.  My hunch is that the problem is related to
> inline code confusing GDB, but thats only a guess, I have no real way to
> test it.  I have tried, but could not reproduce the problem in my
> limited test case.
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Mike

D-82178 Puchheim          Germany