Power awareness

Fri Apr 19 11:33:12 UTC 2002

Harvey Tuch wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if anyone has done any work on power awareness/management/
> efficiency on RTEMS (e.g. dynamic voltage scheduling, accounting, API issues)? I
> gather some has been done on eCos, but I haven't seen anything on RTEMS.
>
> I'm looking for an area to do a thesis at the moment, and I am considering
> doing this, but I do not wish to duplicate existing work.

There is no variable power management capability right now but there is
a place to insert a switch to idle/low power mode.  Some CPUs and BSPs
have a special version of the IDLE task which puts the CPU in a low
power
state.  But there is nothing that says we are only 10% CPU utilization
so
lower the clock rate.