powerpc fptask issue again

Till Straumann strauman at SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Fri Apr 19 18:25:52 UTC 2002

Joel Sherrill wrote:

> Till Straumann wrote:
> >
> > Hi.
> >
> > I'm sure this does not appear on this list for the first time.
> >
> > Can somebody explain to me why enabling deferred/lazy
> > floating point context save/restore (as is currently the default
> > for the Powerpc/new_exception_processing) and NOT
> > disabling MSR_FP for integer tasks (current behavior)
> > is assumed to be safe ???
>
> In general, if you have the capability to disable the
> FPU for integer only tasks, you should do it.  You have
> to be careful to honor this in interrupts and context
> switches.

I couldn't agree more. However, currently the FPU (on ppc)
is _never_ disabled. There is a comment stating that it is
left enabled because newlibc vfprintf (around '97) behaved
just like my task 'B', i.e. it is not modifying but merely
saving/restoring FP regs.

My point is:

1) _only_ do lazy FPcontext save/restore if you
   switch the FPU off for integer tasks otherwise
   there is a risk of corruption that goes undetected.

2) if there are integer tasks who push/pop the FPregs
   without modifying them, you can leave the FPU enabled
   _but_ FPContext must be saved/restored at every context
   switch.

Note that powerpc-rtems currently violates 1), i.e. it uses
lazy FPsave/restore but does not disable the FPU for integer
tasks!

One more interesting thing: if you do 1) you will discover that
threaddispatch.c is actually incorrect. PR/patch is in preparation

-- Till