Netdemo examples Working on i386

Bill Butler billb at tnex.com
Wed Apr 24 13:42:40 UTC 2002

All,

I thought I would update everyone that I have the netdemo working with
the i386/pc486 bsp.

I moved to the latest snapshot (20020301) and updated my tools. Now the
demo complained about a NE2000 timeout. After some more searching I
discovered this was because I had the wrong IRQ on the NIC card.

I could not really find any utilities I thought I was stuck. Luckily,
Win95 was installed on this 486 machine I was using and when I tried to
install the nic card It showed me the setting (irq3,0x300). Changing
this got me up and running.

So in summary, if you want to used a ne2000 nic card with netdemo you
need to

1)  Set to your card type in bsp.h. All supported cards are listed now

#define BSP_NE2000_NETWORK_DRIVER_NAME
#define BSP_NE2000_NETWORK_DRIVER_ATTACH

2) Add number of File handle to something more reasonable in init.c

#define CONFIGURE_LIBIO_MAXIMUM_FILE_DESCRIPTORS (30)

3) Set your IRQ on your nic card to 5 or modify the netdriver_config
structure in netconfigure.h for the demo code the following to the

static struct rtems_bsdnet_ifconfig netdriver_config = {
   RTEMS_BSP_NETWORK_DRIVER_NAME,      /* name */
   RTEMS_BSP_NETWORK_DRIVER_ATTACH, /* attach function */

#ifdef RTEMS_USE_LOOPBACK
   &loopback_config,    /* link to next interface */
#else
   NULL,          /* No more interfaces */
#endif

#if (defined (RTEMS_USE_BOOTP))
   NULL,          /* BOOTP supplies IP address */
   NULL,          /* BOOTP supplies IP net mask */
#else
   "192.168.1.26",      /* IP address */
   "255.255.255.0",     /* IP net mask */
#endif /* !RTEMS_USE_BOOTP */

#if (defined (RTEMS_SET_ETHERNET_ADDRESS))
   ethernet_address,               /* Ethernet hardware address */
#else
   NULL,                           /* Driver supplies hardware address
*/
#endif
/* configure the IRQ in this section 0 = default*/
   0,           /* ignore_broadcast */
   0,           /* mtu */
   0,           /* rbuf_count */
   0,           /* xbuf_count*/

   0,           /* port use default of 0x300 */
   3,           /* irno */
   0,           /* bpar*/

};

Hope that helps

PS. I believe that the 4.5.0 version would have worked fine if I had the
IRQ set correctly. It's just that the newer version of the driver gave
an error message that Interrupts weren't working!

Bill Butler
AIPCom Inc
972-644-2328 x16
bbill at tnex.com