rtems manager

Mon Apr 29 14:45:13 UTC 2002

Jan Suchotzki wrote:

> Hi,
>
> can someone explain me the concept behind the MANAGER - Variable
> in the Makefile-templates?
> I mean, what happens when I include/exclude managers there?
> How affects it the code-size? Are there special libraries that are linked
> to the code in relation to the MANAGER-Variable?

It replaces the managers you don't want with a stub.  In olden days,
it was the only way to significantly reduce code size because all
services within a manager were in a single file.  Now the managers
are mostly split up for one function per file and the librarian
and loader take care of only pulling in precisely what is needed.

Check out the symbol table and look for rtems_task.  I am sure
there are a lot of services you don't end up including in your
application.

But the stubs are especially useful in that they return E_NOTCONFIGURED
so you can explicitly forbid use of certain managers if that is what
you want to do.