GNAT 3.13p patches for GCC 2.95.3?

Tue Apr 30 17:27:16 UTC 2002

"Rude, Randy [Cont]" wrote:

> The latest trusted RTEMS GCC snapshot contains patches against GCC 2.95.3
> but the Ada tools contain patches for GCC 2.8.1.  Are Ada tool patches
> available for GCC 2.95.3?  The Ada tool patches for binutils and GDB are
> also stale.

GNAT never officially supported 2.95.x or 3.0.  GNAT has been merged
into
gcc and will be part of the 3.1 release.  Thanks to Laurent Guerby, I
have gotten far enough to have build reports for the rtems targets.

The complicating factor is that GNAT stayed on gcc 2.8.1 for a LONG
time.
gcc 2.8.1 had more limited support for ELF and embedded CPUs than
egcs or 2.95 or 3.0.  RTEMS migrated to ELF for every target that
was possible and this left a versioning disconnect as they stayed
with 2.8.1.

The powerpc and sparc targets work well with the older gnats and in
fact I posted ACATS results on the PowerPC last August:

http://www.oarcorp.com/rtems/maillistArchives/rtems-users/2001/august/msg00102.html

As gnat stabilizes in the mainstream 3.1, more rtems targets will
be built and made available.  If you want a particular CPU that
is not powerpc or sparc, then you should watch for my report on
the gcc mailing list and help fix. :)  It really looks like a
handful of configurery problems are causing most of the
failures (not finding include files that are there causes about
4 targets to fail).