PC386 RTEMS_VIDEO_80x50 incompatible with serial-line console

Eric Norum eric.norum at usask.ca
Tue Aug 13 16:32:16 UTC 2002

I've submitted this as PR259, but Joel suggested that I might get a
better response from this list.

I'm trying to produce an application which will work on hardware with a
keyboard and video console and on hardware with just a serial line
console.   The selection of console I/O is done at runtime by the
RTEMS_RUNTIME_CONSOLE_SELECT code in i386/pc386/console/console.c  I'd
like to use 80x50 on the video console, but when I define
RTEMS_VIDEO_80x50 in i386/pc386/start/start16.S the application fails to
work when run on hardware with just a serial line console.

The code in start16.S needs to check for the presence of a video adapter
and not try to set up 80x50 operation if no adapter is present. I know
too little about PC hardware, BIOS and assemblly language to be able to
figure out how to do this myself, or even if this is possible.

Assistance eagerly awaited....
--
Eric Norum <eric.norum at usask.ca>
Department of Electrical Engineering