Report of build sucess with GCC-3.2, binutils-2.13, newlib-1.10.0 and 20020807 snapshots, target=powerpc-rtems (mbx860)

Ralf Corsepius corsepiu at faw.uni-ulm.de
Thu Aug 22 13:06:01 UTC 2002

Am Don, 2002-08-22 um 14.33 schrieb VALETTE Eric:
> Many reports failure on theses lists. At least I will report a sucess
> and will take the time to thank anybody (ralph, joel, others) that
> contributed to reach this point.
>
> Beside, I'm fairly impressed by the remaining size of the patch for the
> C development tools. If only I could get a paper signed to reach such a
> thing with gdb...
>
> Side question why autoconf-2.52 and not 2.53?

Short answer: autoconf-2.53 is not compatible to 2.52.

Longer answer:

With autoconf-2.53, the autoconfers have broken several features RTEMS
relies upon and RTEMS has not yet been updated to what autoconf-2.53
requires.

In addition to that, they basically changed autoconf's and automake's
interaction working principles (autom4te.caches), which has massive
side-effects on RTEMS. The worst: autom4te.caches blow up the size of
the _source-tree_ by factor 2.

All in all, autoconf-2.53 currently is not applicable to RTEMS, to
remain polite.

Ralf