Fwd: RTEMS pthreads performance (was RTEMS vs other realtimeOperating Systems ..)

Kamen Penev kamen at penev.net
Tue Dec 3 19:27:18 UTC 2002

Joel Sherrill wrote:

> But each time we hit a new
> benchmark comparison, there is new data to optimize against.

Apropos, are you aware of other comparison studies besides Till Straumann's
benchmark against RTLinux and vxWorks and Greg Menke's comparison with
LynxOS (http://that.gsfc.nasa.gov/osgroup/benchmarks.html)?

I think I have a reasonably good feeling about the performance of RTEMS
(pretty darn good BTW!), but I can use more ammo to convince my coworkers.

On a different note, I have managed to port RTEMS to a custom board based on
Motorola's MPC8245 PowerPC CPU (603e core), using the psim BSP as a starting
point. I am using DINK32's serial I/O routines. At this point it's not much
more than just a hack for evaluation purposes. The CPU-related changes are
ready for submission (basically, just another PVR value, handled as 603e), I
think, but I need to redo the BSP, using "new exceptions" handling. Which
leads to my second question: what are the differences between old and new
exception handling schemes? I mean, ideologically. Perhaps this is an FAQ,
but I could not find the answer in the documentation or in the README files
in the source tree. Searching the archive of this mailing list was not
productive either.

Thanks!

Kamen