Does POSIX standard say EXPLICIT or IMPLICIT SCHED

Ralf Corsepius corsepiu at faw.uni-ulm.de
Wed Dec 4 17:42:56 UTC 2002

Am Mit, 2002-12-04 um 18.18 schrieb Joel Sherrill:
> Till Straumann wrote:
> >
> > I guess I was naive when I first wrote the benchmark code - I figured
> > POSIX was a standard
> > and hence the defaults would be standardized.
>
> HAHAHAHA!!!  :)  The reason for this perception is that in general
> things are portable.

<*fg*> pthread_attr_setschedpolicy </*fg*>

SUSV3 says "SCHED_OTHER, SCHED_RR and SCHED_FIFO shall ..."

SCHED_OTHER is the default on most systems, but ..
* what is SCHED_OTHER?
* Some "POSIX-compliant" OSes do not provide SCHED_RR or SCHED_FIFO
* Some schedulers require special permission (eg. root) or system
settings on some systems.

Ralf