AW: Booting RTEMS PC386 via dos prompt

Luca Abeni luca at hartik.sssup.it
Wed Dec 11 08:03:07 UTC 2002

Hi Angelo,

[...]
> >Good. In my experience, the eXtender can speed-up the development and
> >testing
> >process (if the rtems application does not corrupt dos memory, when it
> >finishes it can simply return to DOS, without rebooting the system).
> >
> This does not really concern me as I would only like to Run a DOS
> program first (to check the serial port for a new RTEMS exe to be
> written to hard drive) and then boot to RTEMS until machine is turned
> off. i.e. Never return to DOS.
>  I could probably do this via autoexec.bat?
Ok. I think the ``current version'' of the eXtender (released in 1 day
or 2) will fit your needs. You can simply put
x <yourprogram>
as a last line in your autoexec.bat.

> >I think it will be available in 2 days or 3. Unfortunately, I am finishing
> >my PhD, and I can work on the eXtender only in my spare time... I am just
> >finishing to review the changes that I made, and after that I'll release the
> >new version. Since I did some other changes in ELF parsing, I'll probably
> >need your help to test the new version before releasing it...
> >
> So what would be required on our part to test this?
I'll post on this list an url for the ``pre release'' of the eXtender
for testing. The only requirement will be a bootable freedos (or *dos)
disk.

				Luca

Luca Abeni                           |
PhD Student in Computer Engineering  | Real Programmers
Retis Lab                            | Don't Use Windows :)
Scuola Superiore S. Anna             |
E-Mail:        	luca at hartik.sssup.it | Please avoid sending me Word
Phone (Lab):   	+39-050-883459       | or PowerPoint attachments.
                  See
http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html