what is the difference of rdbg and gdb stub provided by libbsp/cpu/shared/comm

Thu Dec 12 14:47:09 UTC 2002

gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov wrote:

> ÕÅÕÜ writes:
>  > Are they both gdb stub on target ? now i want to debug a remote target
> > application through COM1, but i do not know which one to choose . can
> > u give me some comment ,documents helpful and a tiny example ? thank
> > you
>  >
>  > by the way : some examples in maillist seems not buildable , for example call of init_remote_gdb().
>  >

> Support for gdb stubs varies between different bsp's.  I believe there
> is support for some bsp's for x86 boards and we implemented one for
> the Mips Mongoose- I imagine there are others.  If you want to debug a
> remote target via serial port, I think a gdb stub is what you want.
> What board/bsp are you using?

rdbg is a fancier tcp/ip debugging based scheme supported on the
powerpc, i386, and m68k.

The other stub is a serial port based gdb stub based upon the
standard gdb remote debugging protocol.  Depending upon the
target CPU, it may be thread aware in the stub.  For sure, the
mips and i386 stubs were modified to do this.  The support is
pretty generic and can be easily adapted to other CPUs.