what is the difference of rdbg and gdb stub provided by libbsp/cpu/shared/comm

Till Straumann strauman at slac.stanford.edu
Thu Dec 12 17:30:35 UTC 2002

Joel Sherrill wrote:

>gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov wrote:
>

>>ÕÅÕÜ writes:
>> > Are they both gdb stub on target ? now i want to debug a remote target
>>

>>>application through COM1, but i do not know which one to choose . can
>>>u give me some comment ,documents helpful and a tiny example ? thank
>>>you
>>>

>> > by the way : some examples in maillist seems not buildable , for example call of init_remote_gdb().
>> >

>>Support for gdb stubs varies between different bsp's.  I believe there
>>is support for some bsp's for x86 boards and we implemented one for
>>the Mips Mongoose- I imagine there are others.  If you want to debug a
>>remote target via serial port, I think a gdb stub is what you want.
>>What board/bsp are you using?
>>

>rdbg is a fancier tcp/ip debugging based scheme supported on the
>powerpc, i386, and m68k.

BTW: does anybody use RDBG on PowerPC? I have - it seems quite broken,
though.
While some basic things work, others crash the host gdb (making a target
reboot
inevitable). Sorry for not being more specific, I'm out of my office.

After looking at the 'remote-xxx' (gdb) implementation (I wanted to see
how hard it would
be to add support for loadable modules), MHO is that some cleanup/rework
by a real
gdb expert would do no harm... (I was still using the 'latest
stable/working' release of
rtems-gdb [sidenote: the binaries/RPMs distributed by OaR are _not_
compiled with
RDBG support!] - has there been any change since?)

-- Till