Newbie RTEMs user's RTEMS build failing

gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Dec 19 23:00:58 UTC 2002

jamesfit at paradise.net.nz writes:
 > Hi all,
 > I am new to RTEMS and this is my first post to this list.
 >
 > I have downloaded and successfully built (from source) the RTEMS toolchain on a
 > Mac OS X host (my development machine) for an m68k target.
 >
 > I encountered a problem building RTEMS itself however. I am building the latest
 > snapshot and the mrm332 BSP. You can see the error below.
 >
 > Thanks for any and all help you can provide,
 > regards,
 > James Fitzsimons
 >
 > <snip>
 > Making all in src

Upgrade to the latest trusted gcc, newlib & binutils.  I've seen this
error when compiling later snapshots with 2.9x versions of gcc.  You
can get rpms or tar.gz from the OAR ftp tree;

ftp://ftp.oarcorp.com/pub/rtems/snapshots/c_tools/

If absolutely necessary, you can get around the error by #define'ing
PTHREAD_CANCELLED to some value in cancelrun.c, however this is
nothing but a very bad hack as its potentially interfering with the
pthreads implementation and you may end up with other hidden problems.
On the Mongoose BSP at least, it does appear to work.  YMMV.

As far as gcc version dependency is concerned, with 3.x on MIPS I've
sucessfully built newlib & rtems & application with -fpack-struct and
it all runs OK.  2.9x would fail in the RTEMS startup.

Gregm